martes, 24 de abril de 2018

Net Notifications



Table of Contents

  1. QUERY> Fonts for transliterating Indo-Tibetan terms with diacritics

QUERY> Fonts for transliterating Indo-Tibetan terms with diacritics

by Bertram G. Liyanage
Dear friends and colleagues,
I’m looking for a good quality font that supports transliterating Indo-Tibetan terms. I have used Times New Roman after it was developed with full diacritical character set, but I have seen many attractive fonts used by Book publishing companies, such as Oxford University Press. I have tried Minion, Caslon and Garamond (including Adobe fonts) as well. Though they are excellent, the font sets I can access don’t support some diacritics. It seems Oxford University Press also uses Caslon or Minion but surprisingly they have full diacritical character set. Am I mistaken? Would anyone in this group be able to recommend the purchase of a Unicode font like Minion or Caslon with full diacritical character set?
I also would not favor jGaramond, Gentium, Palatino or fonts similar to Times Roman. My purpose is to use this font for designing a book. (I do book designing, apart from Buddhist studies.) I hope some of you, who have experience publishing books with large companies, can help me.
Thank you,
Bertram G. Liyanage
Deputy editor
Encyclopaedia of Buddhism, Sri Lanka

·         Read more or reply
CELEBRATE H-NET'S 25 YEARS OF SERVICE: DONATE TODAY!
H-NetPlease help us keep H-Net free and accessible. $25 from each of our subscribers would fund H-Net for two years. Click here to make a tax-deductible donation online.