lunes, 26 de febrero de 2018


wildmind


Check Out Our Meditation Courses, Starting March 1

We have three exciting courses starting in a few days. Check them out!

Living With Kindness: Lovingkindness Practices for Awakening the Heart (Mar 1–28)

Through meditation we can become kinder and more accepting of ourselves. We can reduce the conflicts we have with others. We can deepen the appreciation and care we have for friends and family.
This course will teach you practices to help you become happier by transforming the way you relate to the world — and yourself.

Rectángulo redondeado: Click here to learn more

Forgiveness: The Art and Science of Letting Go (Mar 1–28)

Resentment and anger have been shown to produce chemical changes in the body that damage our health and wellbeing. Resentment is toxic! But how do we let go of hurt and anger without making ourselves into doormats?
On this 28-day online meditation course we'll build the foundation for a mindful and self-compassionate approach to forgiving ourselves and others.

Rectángulo redondeado: Click here now to learn more


Optimize Your Brain: Awaken Your Full Potential With Meditation (Mar 1–28)

Studies have shown that meditating even for just a few minutes a day slows the aging of the brain, helps us focus, and improves emotional regulation.
In this 28-day online course we’ll learn how to activate states of calm instead of worry; kindness and compassion instead of irritability and anger; mindful presence instead of distractedness; and joy instead of sadness and despair.

Rectángulo redondeado: Click here to learn more


Guided Meditation

With our compliments, please enjoy the first of the meditations from our forthcoming online course, Living With Kindness.



Your bi-monthly Dharma dose


Who needs willpower anyway?

I confess that I have a bit of an addictive personality — not in the sense of being an alcoholic or a drug addict, but more in terms of getting hooked on stimulation. A minor example is that I had a tin of mints in the car recently, and I would often find that as soon as one mint was gone, I'd reach for another. The mints are sugar-free and this form of addiction isn't a big deal, but boy can I get through a tin of mints quickly!
Similarly I can overeat, particularly on unhealthy foods like potato chips or popcorn. Again, as soon as (or even before) one morsel has been swallowed my hand is delivering another to my waiting lips. This is a bit more serious because I'm maybe 12 to 15 pounds (roughly 5 to 7 Kg) overweight, and although I run and generally try to eat healthily my occasional binges make it hard for me to lose that excess.
You might say that I lack willpower. A lot of us would say that about ourselves. But what I'm finding successful in reducing these little addictions has nothing to do with willpower. Instead, I've been practicing being mindful of cessation — specifically of the way that flavors fade away in my mouth.
The flavor beginning to fade away is the trigger for my habit. My normal, unmindful, habit is to reflexly seek a new "hit" of flavor as soon as the previous one has started to fade. So the phenomenon of a flavor fading away is what I'm choosing to observe.
This is a really interesting practice! Watching a flavor decay, curving slowly down to non-existence, gives me an opportunity to practice equanimity and non-reactivity. As the flavor fades, I feel no desire to reach for another hit. Watching the old flavor disappear is actually way more satisfying, just as watching the fading away of a sunset is satisfying. And I've discovered that I can observe the fading away of a flavor for a long time. I've found that the flavor of a mint is still detectable in my mouth an hour and a half after eating it.
So far this is working very well.
Now, I can also get addicted to mental stimulation as well, and this often manifests as a restless desire to consume social media. If I get a bit bored I reach for my phone or open up a new tab in my browser so that I can check twitter.
I've been writing this article as I wait to renew my driver's license at the local Department of Motor Vehicles. Having written the previous paragraph I picked up my phone and my finger moved toward the Twitter icon. But before it got there I checked in with the feeling tone of my restlessness. And I just watched it as it faded away. The feeling itself is hard to describe. Fortunately I don't need to describe it, but just observe it passing. Again I found that it was enjoyable to observe it passing away, and when it was gone I had no desire to read Twitter. Instead I just let myself connect compassionately with the other people waiting with me. That was enjoyable too.
I've found that the concept of willpower is overrated. We either strongly desire to do the "right" thing or we don't, and the difference is often to do with strategies. If not eating a mint or not opening Twitter can be made enjoyable (making it enjoyable is a strategy), then that's what we'll do.
I've been finding that observing the process of cessation of an experience is fun. Maybe that'll be true for you as well. Maybe not. I'm just suggesting this as an experiment that you might want to try.
With love,
Bodhipaksa
Rectángulo redondeado: Read more articles on Wildmind