jueves, 1 de noviembre de 2018

Center for Strategic and International Studies,


Dear College:

With this email, I am sending out part one of two, of the Spanish-language version of my recent article on Chinese activities in Panama.  I would like to thank the team at the Panamanian law firm Rivera, Bolivar & Castañedas (rbc.com.pa) for their work in translating it and publishing it in their journal "Legislacion y Economia."  As always, the article is available here as a PDF file, and at the website of the journal:

http://rbc.mailrelay-iv.es/newslink/930028/230.html

I am also happy to announce that, in addition to my continuing work with the U.S. Army War College and the Center for Strategic and International Studies, I am honored to have been named Senior Fellow with the Jack D. Gordon Institute of Public Policy at Florida International University.  I look forward to collaborating with Brian Fonseca and his first-rate team at the Gordon Institute on projects where the opportunities present themselves.

Finally, I would like to correct the text of the current article (in English and Spanish) regarding Mineria Panama, where I mention a video which shows hundreds of Chinese workers with suitcases on the site.  An authoritative source with the mine's operator, First Quantum Minerals, assures me that the 600 Chinese workers are legally authorized by the Panamanian government to be there, as part of the 12,600 people employed on the project.  He further notes that the SUNTRACS union was not (as I understood) silent about the Chinese workers, but that their activism had actually forced First Quantum to move the Chinese to a different site, which actually explains why unhappy-looking Chinese are filing past the cameraman in the video.  I thank my source for reaching out, and welcome any of you, in the future, who believe I have made an error in my writing, to let me know so that I can get the story right.

Respectfully,

Evan Ellis

Dr. R. Evan Ellis
Research Professor of Latin American Studies U.S. Army War College Strategic Studies Institute
47 Ashburn Drive
Carlisle, PA 17013
Tel: (717) 245-4085
Cell: (703) 328-7770
Fax: (717) 245-3820